Are You Following These Important Boat Safety Tips?
Boating can be a fun way to spend an afternoon with family and friends this summer. Unfortunately, accidents can happen if the proper precautions are not taken. Let’s take a closer look at boating accident causes, how often they occur and learn tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
What Are Common Causes of Boating Accidents?
There are many factors that can cause accidents to happen, with the majority of those being the responsibility of the boat operator. Taking your eyes off navigating, not having enough experience or ignoring weather conditions can all lead to an accident. Below are some of the most common causes of accidents.
- Drug or Alcohol Use
- Boat Equipment Malfunction
- Inclement Weather
- Lack of Life Jacket Use
How Common Are Boating Accidents in Missouri?
According to the latest statistics available from the Department of Public Safety Missouri State Highway Patrol, there were 169 boating crashes in 2017. 78% of those crashes occurred from May-August of that year.
Boating Injuries and Fatalities
Tragically, 91 people were injured and 10 people died in boating accidents in our state that same year.
Nationally, there were 2,629 injuries and 358 boating-related deaths in 2017. 84% of the victims were not wearing life jackets.
What Should You Do to Prevent Boating Accidents?
These startling statistics are a reminder of how important it is to take precautions and be safe out on the open water. Here are some important tips to keep in mind.
- Take a boating safety course – Receive your required certification and learn critical boat safety information
- Always wear a life jacket – Even experienced swimmers should wear a life jacket
- Never drink alcohol while operating a boat – Alcohol or drugs negatively impact your focus and decision-making
- Stay alert and do not speed – Always be alert, watch out for other boats and avoid speeding
- Check weather forecasts before going out on the water – Never got out on the water in inclement weather
Your Kansas City Lawyers Are Here to Help
If you or someone you love have been seriously injured in a boating accident, call the Kansas City Boat Accident Lawyers at the Goss Law Firm at 816-839-6452 to speak about your situation for free.
When you call, an experienced lawyer will listen to your story, answer any questions you may have and provide legal advice to help you during this difficult time. There is never a fee for the initial consultation. Our compassionate team is dedicated to protecting your rights and helping you move forward with your life. Give us a call today.